Wednesday Jan 17 2018 – Wednesday March 14 2018
9:30am – 12:30pm
24 hours of class time
Cost: $450 (includes HST + model fee)
Location: Southminster United Church, 15 Aylmer Ave (Galt St entrance)
Max 12 participants
This class is intended for beginners through advanced students. If you’ve never studied classical figure drawing before, you will absolutely come away with new ideas, concepts and understanding of how the human body is structured and how to draw it truthfully and gracefully. It is intended to be robust, useful, and practical.
And yes, you can come to this class even if you can only draw stick figures.
You will leave with a deeper understanding of:
- Inner movement and how it dictates everything the body does
- Structural thinking and how to think in three dimensional space
- How to correctly use your block in
- What are the elements of an effective, accurate and beautiful contour
- The rules of organic form
- How the body is structured and designed
- How light and organic form interact
Most classes will be a combination of demos and practice time, with some classes being practice only. During practice time, I will spend one-on-one time with each student, giving guidance, critique and support.
Class sizes are small so that everyone will have one-on-one time with me by the end of the course.
Who these classes are for:
These classes are for the serious beginner to advanced artist. They are focused and intense and I will be sharing as much of my knowledge as I can in the 24 hours we have together. If you love Paint & Wine Night at your local bar, these classes are probably not your thing.
Who am I and what do I know?
I’m Sarah Marie Lacy, and I’m a full-time professional artist and portrait painter. I’ve studied with master artists in France, and have won international awards for my work, which makes me sound very fancy. I am deeply passionate about the work that I do and love sharing it with others and watching my students improve and progress.
What we don’t cover:
I don’t really get into materials, how to use materials, how to sharpen your pencils the best way, etc. The magic is not in the materials, and other artists will do a better job teaching that. This is about getting knowledge of artistic concepts in your hands so you can get to making the work you want to be making. But I’m always happy to answer questions students have!
- An unlined notebook! I don’t do handouts because you won’t learn as much if I just tell you what to do. I want you to make notes of what I’m saying, copy the demos, draw along with me while I talk. You’ll learn so much more this way. (See the science behind it here.)
- A large pad of white paper, anywhere from 16” x 20” to 18” x 24”. It doesn’t have to be the highest quality, although the final 3 classes will be a single pose as we work on deeper concepts, so you may want to use nicer paper for that if you think you’ll be inclined to keep what you do. But for the first 3 classes, we will be doing a lot of practice studies.
- A selection of pencils, from 2B to 6B. I tend to work with a 2B mostly, but some people like having a few to choose from.
- A kneaded eraser
- A white eraser
- A pencil sharpener
IMPORTANT: Payment & Refund Policies
Payment is non-refundable and non-transferable after Jan 11, 2018. This means that after this date, you cannot use this payment to pay for a course at a later date, and that your payment will not be refunded just because you cannot make a course that you signed up for. Think seriously about your ability to attend these classes.
Discounts will not be given for students who can only attend a portion of the classes.
If the class is cancelled due to a lack of registrants or other circumstances, your money will be refunded in its entirety and within 7 days of cancellation.
firstname.lastname@example.org and I’ll answer them!
Reserve your seat today! (Space is limited and they fill fast.)
You can pay by one of three methods:
3. Credit card using the Paypal payment button below
To pay by the first 2 methods, email email@example.com and I’ll set that up for you!
Cost: $450 (includes HST + model fee)