Would you like to model for The Drawing Room Studio? Wonderful! We’d love to have you.
IMPORTANT: The studio is located in Ottawa, Ontario.
We are looking for a diverse range of models – all shapes, sizes, ages and colours, and either male or female. Models who prove to be reliable and professional will happily be hired again.
Sessions are currently run on the weekend only and are the same pose for 2 days straight (10-12 hours).
Poses are 5-6 hours per day, with a one hour break for lunch. We work 3 hours at a stretch, with timed poses of 25 minutes on, 5 minutes off, with a 20 minute break halfway through. Our morning session runs from 9:30am-12:30pm. Lunch is 12:30pm-1:30pm, and then our afternoon session is 1:30pm-3:30pm or 4:30pm.
Pay is $125-$150 per day, in cash or cheque.
NB: Almost all modelling is nude – no underwear or bathing suit bottoms please as it tends to obscure and constrict the lines of your body. If you’re not comfortable modelling nude but would like to sit for portraiture sessions, please contact Sarah at sarah (at) thedrawingroomstudio.ca to be put on a list of portrait-only models. We’ll get in touch when we plan a portrait session.
We have a fully equipped model stand with plenty of furniture, props and supports, including pillows, yoga mats, and yoga blocks. We use tape to mark poses so that it’s easy for you to come back into the same pose. Pose checks will be held at the beginning of each 25 minute session to help you get back into the same position.
Treating our models well is of utmost importance to me! Without you, we’d have nothing to inspire us. I value the hard work that you do and I work hard to create a safe, respectful and supportive environment for you to work in.
If you’ve never modeled before and are interested in modeling at my studio, please get in touch and I can give you some suggestions for other groups where you can get some experience first. As one experienced model said to me, “Doing a 12 hour pose with no prior experience is like writing your PhD before finishing your bachelors.” This is a tough gig and I try to make it as easy on the model as possible, but you’re gonna hurt a bit at the end of the weekend, and a lack of experience will be frustrating for both you and the artists.
Currently looking for:
Diversity in the models I hire is something that’s very important to me. If you are a person of colour, or “plus size” (for lack of a better term), please definitely get in touch! If you don’t have any experience modeling, but are interested in this, please still do get in touch. We can get you some experience before you do a 12 hour pose.
Important! For males who would like to start art modelling but have never done it before:
1. This is a mixed gender group of all ages from early 20s up to mid-70s. You will not be posing just in front of women.
2. I don’t care about your penis. Don’t send me pictures of it, don’t talk to me about it, don’t try to impress me with the size of it. Your penis is completely irrelevant to the work that we do here. Proportionally speaking, it is a minuscule part of your body and has no bearing on the kind of art we make.
3. This is not the place for you to “feel sexy” while people draw you. This is about the art. If you can’t leave your ego at the door, then there is no place for you here.
1. I’m getting a lot of interest from people about modeling here, which is great! Thank you! However, please be patient about response times. I run 2 other businesses and sometimes my inbox has more emails than I have time in the day. I’m not ignoring you, I promise! If you haven’t heard back from me within 2 weeks, please nudge me. Until then, sit tight!
And if you throw a temper tantrum in my inbox about response times, you can pretty much guarantee I won’t hire you. Just sayin’.
2. There has been an overwhelming response to my studio, and I have received inquiries from nearly 100 models in Ottawa thus far. We only run 20-24 life drawing sessions per year (approx 2 per month), along with semi-regular workshops and classes. I can make no guarantees as to when I’ll be able to hire you for the studio.