Saturday Oct 19 & Sunday Oct 20 2019
9:30am – 4:30pm both days
Cost: $250 (includes HST + model fee)
Max 12 participants
You can pay with all major credit cards using the Paypal button below, or you can contact me at email@example.com to pay by e-transfer, cheque or an alternate credit card processor.
This class requires some experience drawing the figure to make the most of the information taught in this class. (If you’ve taken one of my figure drawing classes before, you can take this class.)
You will leave with a deeper understanding of:
- The physics of light
- How light and human form interact
- The four orders of light effects
- The rules of organic form
- Why you want to think about eggs when you’re lighting the figure
- The importance of wedging and tapering light shapes
- How to make your figures look full and round
We will work from a live model during the entire workshop. I will spend Saturday morning demo-ing these concepts, and then you’ll be given a single 9 hour pose over the next day and a half to practice drawing and lighting the figure. I will spend that time going from student to student and spending one-on-one time with you, providing support, guidance and critique.
Class sizes are small so that everyone will have at least an hour of one-on-one time with me by the end of the course.
Who am I and what do I know?
I’m Sarah Marie Lacy, and I’m a full-time professional artist and portrait painter. I’ve studied with master artists in France, and have won international awards for my work, which makes me sound very fancy. I am deeply passionate about the work that I do and love sharing it with others and watching my students improve and progress.
- An unlined notebook! I don’t do handouts because you won’t learn as much if I just tell you what to do. I want you to make notes of what I’m saying, copy the demos, draw along with me while I talk. You’ll learn so much more this way. (See the science behind it here.)
- A few sheets of decent white paper, anywhere from 16” x 20” to 18” x 24”. You’ll be doing a single drawing over 9 hours, so you want something big enough that you don’t feel cramped and so you can see what you’re doing.
- *If you want to work with toned paper, charcoal and white chalk, I’m also happy to help you work with those tools!
- A selection of good pencils from 2B to 6B.
- A kneaded eraser
- A white eraser
- A pencil sharpener
What we don’t cover:
I don’t get into materials, how to use materials, how to sharpen your pencils the best way, etc. The magic is not in the materials, and other artists will do a better job teaching that. This is about getting knowledge of artistic concepts in your hands so you can get to making the work you want to be making.
Who these classes are for
These classes are for the serious intermediate to advanced artist. They are focused and intense and I will be sharing as much of my knowledge as I can in the 12 hours we have together. If you love Paint & Wine Night at your local bar, these classes are probably not your thing.
IMPORTANT: Payment & Refund Policies
Payment is non-refundable and non-transferable after October 10, 2019. This means that after this date, you cannot use this payment to pay for a course at a later date, and that your payment will not be refunded just because you cannot make a course that you signed up for. Think seriously about your ability to attend these classes.
Discounts will not be given for students who can only attend a portion of the class.
If the class is cancelled due to a lack of registrants or other circumstances, your money will be refunded in its entirety and within 7 days of cancellation.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org and I’ll answer them!
Reserve your seat today! (Space is limited and they fill fast.)
You can pay by one of 3 methods:
1. E-transfer to email@example.com (auto-deposit is set up)
3. Credit card invoice
Please tell me your preferred payment method in the registration form below.
Cost: $250 (includes HST + model fee)