Thursday January 24 2019 – Thursday February 14 2019 – FULL, waiting list
10am – 1pm
Cost: $235 (includes HST + model fee)
Location: Southminster United Church, 15 Aylmer Ave (Galt St entrance)
Max 12 participants
This class is intended to give students a solid foundation in portraiture by teaching head structure, individual character and lighting the portrait.
You will leave with a deeper understanding of:
- the forms, subforms and planes of the head
- Structural thinking and how to think in three dimensional space
- How to correctly use and think of your block in
- What are the elements of an effective, accurate and beautiful contour
- the rules of organic form
- how light and organic form interact
- how to capture deep likeness and character in your drawings and paintings using the matrix of proportion.
Most classes will be a combination of demos and practice time, with some classes being practice only. During practice time, I will spend one-on-one time with each student, giving guidance, critique and support.
Because class sizes are small, each student will get plenty of one-on-one time with me by the end of the course.
Who these classes are for:
These classes are for the serious beginner to advanced artist. They are focused and intense and I will be sharing as much of my knowledge as I can in the 12 hours we have together. If you love Paint & Wine Night at your local bar, these classes are probably not your thing.
Who am I and what do I know?
I’m Sarah Marie Lacy, and I’m a full-time professional artist and portrait painter. I’ve studied with master artists in France, and have won international awards for my work, which makes me sound very fancy. I am deeply passionate about the work that I do and love sharing it with others and watching my students improve and progress.
What we don’t cover:
I don’t get into materials, how to use materials, how to sharpen your pencils the best way, etc. The magic is not in the materials, and other artists will do a better job teaching that. This is about getting knowledge of artistic concepts in your hands so you can get to making the work you want to be making.
- An unlined notebook! I don’t do handouts because you won’t learn as much if I just tell you what to do. I want you to make notes of what I’m saying, copy the demos, draw along with me while I talk. You’ll learn so much more this way. (See the science behind it here.)
- A large pad of white paper, anywhere from 16” x 20” to 18” x 24”
- A selection of pencils, from 2B to 6B. I tend to work with a 2B mostly, but some people like having a few to choose from.
- If you’d prefer to work on toned paper for your longer portraits, please do!
- A kneaded eraser
- A white eraser
- A pencil sharpener
IMPORTANT: Payment & Refund Policies
Payment is non-refundable and non-transferable after January 10, 2019. This means that after this date, you cannot use this payment to pay for a course at a later date, and that your payment will not be refunded just because you cannot make a course that you signed up for. Think seriously about your ability to attend these classes.
Discounts will not be given for students who can only attend a portion of the classes.
If the class is cancelled due to a lack of registrants or other circumstances, your money will be refunded in its entirety and within 7 days of cancellation.
Email email@example.com and I’ll answer them!
Reserve your seat today! (Space is limited and they fill fast.)
You can pay by one of four methods:
1. E-transfer to firstname.lastname@example.org (auto-deposit is set up)
3. Credit card invoice
4. Credit card using the Paypal payment button below
To pay by methods #2 & #3, email email@example.com and I’ll set that up for you!
Cost: $235 (includes HST + model fee)